Welcome to our students from abroad

Choosing to study in Saint-Etienne

In choosing to continue your studies in France, and more precisely in Saint Etienne, you are choosing a city with an important student population situated in the heart of the Rhone-Alpes, the second most important region, economically speaking, in France.

14th largest in size, it is surrounded by the beauties of nature with a National Park on its doorstep, is blessed with excellent facilities for sport and is a bustling, busy student city. 2 hours and 40 minutes separate us from Paris and the Mediterranean (in opposite directions, naturally !) ; skiing is virtually on the doorstep as we are only 2h30 from Switzerland and 4 hours from Italy. The following websites will give you loads of further information about this wonderful part of France :





You are comming to study at the CIDO but not as an exchange student

  • Easily accessible teaching programmes
  • An intégration programme
  • Possibility of becoming an exchange student

You are coming to study at the CIDO as part of an exchange program

You should first visit the international department in your own institution to check that a partnership agreement exists between us and then start preparing your application.

We have partnership agreements with a whole list of institutions

An integration program

You must meet the admission requirements for higher education at the CIDO and prove your competency to follow a study course at the CIDO in French.

Prepare your project

1. Studying in French

The major part of our teaching is done in French although some of the osteopathic science courses may be in English, so taking additional French lessons may be a necessity. It is possible to obtain a good level of French :

  • Either by taking lessons before you leave: the Alliance Française is an organisation present in many countries and will be able to offer you French lessons. For further information visit their website at : www.alliancefr.org
  • Or by taking lessons once you arrive. The Centre International de Langue et de Civilisation (CILEC) in Saint-Etienne offers lessons in French as a Foreign Language to any non-French speaker who requests them. For further information visit their website at : www.cilec.org

2. Get the right paperwork

  • For more information about the various types of visa which can cover the period of your studies in France, visit : www.egide.asso.fr
  • For the administrative formalities and practical tips about obtaining a student visa, visit : www.edufrance.fr

Préfecture de la Loire :

Bureau des étrangers,

2 avenue du Général de Gaulle



3. Health and other insurance cover

Social security cover : if you meet certain conditions then you may be entitled to health care under the French social security system :

Caisse Primaire d’Assurance Maladie

3 ave du Président E. Loubet



Additional health insurance : as the social security system does not cover every possible health care cost, you may wish to consider additional health insurance cover, although this is not compulsory. For more information :

SMERRA (Société Mutualiste de la Région Rhône Alpes)

37 rue du 11 novembre

42100 Saint Etienne


LMDE (La Mutuelle des Etudiants)

64 rue du 11 novembre



Insurance for civil liability and personal accident cover: insurance cover is easy to obtain to cover any damage or injury you may cause to a third party or any accidents where you are the injured party. Such insurance is compulsory for your accommodation, whatever its nature. You are also strongly advised to take out a policy that will cover repatriation costs should your state of health force you to return home.

4. Finding accommodation

The university's halls of residence are run by the CROUS, the Regional Centre for School and University Studies, an organisation there to help students in their day to day living (accommodation, part-time jobs). These halls of residence give priority to those students with government grants and foreign exchange students. To obtain a place, you should contact :

CLOUS Centre Local des Œuvres Universitaires et Scolaires

11 rue Tréfilerie


Téléphone : 04 77 81 85 50


Privately owned halls of residence : these are more expensive but propose numerous other services (cafeteria, launderette …). Further information at www.adele.org www.j-net.org

Rent controlled apartments (HLM). Although there is a small number of these available to students, these are very rare. Additional information at www.opacdurhone.fr , loirehabitat.fr

Privately owned rented accommodation is relatively inexpensive in Saint-Etienne, and can be found either person-to-person (small ads etc.) or through a professional lettings agent. You will find rental accommodation on the following websites :




www.pap.fr ...

Flat sharing (with several fellow students) is also a possibility. More information is available at : www.colocation.fr

Other possibilities : the local committee for autonomous housing for young adults at : www.cllaj-rhone-alpes.com , or accomodation with a host family in Saint-Etienne.

You may also be able to obtain help with your housing costs. For further information, visit the website of the Caisse d’Allocation Familiale (CAF) www.caf.fr